Saturday 12 September 2009

Dud

Every now and then, no matter how much care I put into making something, the result turned out to be a dud. Now I know that I can easily blame the recipe but this time, seeing that it comes from the mighty Mr Hermé, one of ses coups de coeur no less, I think I must have done something wrong. Recipe attempted : passionfruit crème brulée.

Crème brulée aux fruits de la passion
(Larousse des desserts p.443)
7 egg yolks
125 gr caster sugar
8 passionfruits
380ml crème fraîche liquide

Preheat oven to 90°C.
Whisk egg yolks with the sugar, incorporate the passionfruit pulp and add the cream.
Divide into individual ramekins, and bake for 1 hour. (the recipe didn't specify for a bain marie so I just baked them like that)

I've made this once and liked it though I made a mental note that it was too runny, and thus must either add another yolk or use less cream. But I was hesitant to muck around with the recipe and decided to give this recipe another go as is, fatal mistake. After an hour, the top wobbled all right... I crossed my fingers hoping that they would set overnight in the fridge. Long story short, they didn't and A said it was like soup. No offense taken.

Crafty little me, made some other milky passionfruity concoction last night and mixed it with the remainder of the duddy PCB and churned the bloody thing in the ice cream maker. Dud transformed into a quite a delight.



Note:
1. I added 3 more passionfruits, about cup and a half of milk, juice of 1 and a half of lemon plus sugar to taste.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle feels your pain. She's not able to get the perfect Creme Brulee every time. T & C had to have Creme Brulee soup one night. To polite to say anything. I wasn't. I said it was yuck.

    Is there nothing an ice-cream maker can't fix?

    Actually, what type/brand of ice-cream maker do you have? We've been wanting to get one for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something to rival the pain of creme brulee that doesn't set, and that is choux pastry that looks perfect when you switch the oven off and then deflates like a punctured balloon!

    yes, i am now thinking how i can possibly make ice cream of anything that doesn't turn out right from now on!

    my ice cream machine is about 10 years old! it's a krups, not unlike this one http://www.krups.com/All+Products/Icecream+Makers/Products/GVS2/GVS2.htm but few generations older.

    ReplyDelete