Sunday 12 October 2008

I sipped my tea and took a bite


with a look of quiet contentment on my face as the effect of tea and madeleine permeates my system. Occasionally seen, me sitting in my little cubicle at work in front of my monitor, having a Proustian moment.

I prefer to bake madeleines in the morning so that I can take some to work to share, as one shouldn't be too greedy! (and one (self) certainly doesn't need nor want to pound on the extra kilo...) They are very easy to make, requiring only the most staple baking ingredients. It takes about an hour to concoct from the moment the eggs are cracked open until the batch comes out of the oven.

My favourite madeleine recipe comes from the mighty Larousse des Desserts by Pierre Herme, nature with only a hint of lemon zest. They are beautiful little things, lightly crusted shell shaped bottom with golden risen tops. I like peeking into the oven just to check that every one of them blossoms into lovely domes.


Madeleines

makes 12

2 eggs
125 gr caster sugar
100 gr plain flour
3 gr baking powder
100 gr butter
grated zest of 1/4 lemon

1. Preheat oven to 230 C.
2. Melt butter gently in a small saucepan, leave to cool slightly.
3. Sift flour and baking powder into a medium bowl.
4. In a larger bowl, crack the eggs and to it, add the sugar.
5. Whisk egg and sugar energetically for around 5 minutes.
5. Add the flour 'en pluie' and then the melted butter
7. Lastly add the lemon zest.
8. Butter madeleine mould well! Fill each one with batter right up to almost the brim
9. After 5 minutes reduce temperature to 200 C. Bake for another 5 minutes or so until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. I bought a madelaine tin 2 weeks ago. You've inspired me to break it in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me some time till I finally used my tin too... I nearly regretted the purchase! Turned out to be a good acquisition.
    Let me know how you went !

    ReplyDelete