Saturday 29 November 2008

Four pots of crème brûlées and a batch of mayonnaise later


I had in my fridge, enough egg white to meringue my cat if I want to. But I didn't... after all, despite all his mischievous activities (of late) and rather bossy attitude (constant), I do have a soft spot for him.

Now, I'm not sure why this delicate little biscuit is called almond bread. By the by, if there is one recipe that is going to make me rich, this is the one. I can not believe how much they charge for a little packet in my local grocer. I suppose it is kind of laborious to thinly hand slice trays and trays of these but I'm inclined to think the professional must have some sort of machinery to speedily cut them with even thickness. Unless... they are produced by some biscotti cutting pro Italian nonnas who would probably be a bit peeved with me as I'm going to share the recipe. Don't worry nonnas, I have very very scarce audience.



Almond Bread
makes hundreds (literally)

200 gr egg whites
180 gr caster sugar
180 gr plain flour
180 gr raw almond

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a rectangle pan with baking paper.
Use an electric mixer unless you have strong arm...

Beat egg whites until firm peaks form, then gradually whisk in sugar.
Beat until sugar has dissolved and the meringue is thick and glossy.
Use a rubber spatula and gently fold in flour and almond.
Spoon mixture into pan and use spatula to flatten the surface.

Bake for 40-45 minutes until top is lightly brown and quite firm to touch.
Leave to cool on wire rack, then wrap with aluminium foil and chill in the fridge overnight to ease slicing.

Cut the loaf into several columns of approximately say 5-7cm then slice thinly (not unlike slicing bread) with serrated knife (rather fine serrated knife and not big toothed bread knife sort). I normally do this in batches, uncut loaf can sit happily in the fridge wrapped for a few days.

Place sliced 'bread' on baking trays and bake gently until dry and crisp, in a 40°C oven for about 1 hour. I wouldn't go any higher than 40-50°C otherwise, the biscuits will take on a bit of colour.



Recipe adapted from a book by Christine Manfield, Paramount Desserts. An excellent recipe may I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment