Sunday 23 November 2008

When I was a wee little baker

I played with biscuit dough, pressed it with my tiny thumb through decorative nozzle and made little flower biscuits. When I was a juvenile baker, I started making bread. Sweet yeasted golden buns, fluffy and soft like cotton balls.

I'm an adult baker girl now... more than ever I seek solace in preparing food. I do not suggest, I repeat I do not suggest that I am mentally unsteady, perhaps a tad melancholy and in bread baking I find, one of the gentlest therapy to clear the mind.



Cheese Loaf
makes 1 loaf

2 tsp dried yeast
350 ml water
500 gr strong white flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
250 gr Gruyère grated

I substituted Gruyère with a handful of parmesan and 200 gr tasty/cheddar cheese.
When I made this the other night, I planned to bake it in the morning so I used only 1 tsp of yeast. My loaf rose slowly overnight in the fridge.

Sprinkle yeast into 100 ml of the water in a bowl. Place flour in a large bowl, make a well and pour in the yeasted water.Use a wooden spoon to draw in enough flour in to the yeast to form a thickish paste, and leave to 'sponge' for about 20 minutes.

Pour the remaining water and use your hand to incorporate the flour to form a firm moist dough.At this stage, add the olive oil and salt. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding flour if necessary.

When smooth and elastic, knead in grated cheese. Shape into a loaf and place in a rectangle baking pan, or just a baking tray if you prefer. Liberally sprinkle cheese on top, and leave to rest in the fridge overnight, ready to pop in the oven as you rise from slumber.

Preheat oven to 180-200 degrees, bake for 40-50 minutes. Cover with foil if top gets too brown too quickly.

Note : The slower a dough rises the more chance it has to develop flavour and texture. If you are using 2 tsp of yeast, your dough will rise faster. Letting it to rise twice therefore would be advised, i.e. leave the dough to rise until double in size for 1 1/2 hours. Knock back and shape bread into a loaf, then prove dough until it rises and slightly puffy about 45 minutes. Sprinkle with extra cheese, then bake away.



Recipe adapted from Bread a book by Eric Treuille and Ursula Ferrigno (Pain au Fromage p.98) present from A my birthday last year.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... cheesy bread, may favorite. You take such beautiful pictures and have the most amazing recipes. A truly enjoyable blog.

    I would love to write about your bread on our blog! If you are interested send me an email at haley@keyingredient.com

    Thanks!
    Haley, KI Blogger

    ReplyDelete