Wednesday 25 March 2009

Extra extra ! Lunch box blog #1


Am going to give me 2 points for this because I also made the curry paste. Wheee...!! This is the panaeng curry I made last week by the way, I used the recipe from a Taste of Thailand again. Though I don't think it is meant to look anything like this because the Vatch said that it's supposed to be a rather dry curry. I had to add quite a bit of water to dilute the saltiness, I suspect that I must have not measured the fish sauce correctly? Next time I'll taste test one tablespoon at a time, overall though... pleased with the result. I still have some of curry paste in the fridge, yay!

Panaeng curry
A recipe by Vatcharin Bhumichitr from a Taste of Thailand, p.87 and 90

125 ml or 1/2 cup coconut cream plus 15ml for garnish
30 ml or 2 tbsp oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
15ml or 1 tbsp Dry curry paste (recipe to follow)
30 ml or 2 tbsp fish sauce (you've been warned)
5 ml or 1 tsp sugar
180 gr lean beef, diced
2 lime leaves, chopped very finely
15 holy basil leaves
1 long chilli, slivered

In a small pan, gently heat the coconut cream but do not let it boil. In a frying pan or a wok, heat the oil until a light haze appears, add the garlic, fry until golden brown. Add the curry paste and stir fry for a few seconds.

Add the warmed coconut cream (reserving 1 tbsp for garnish), and stir until it curdles and thickens in the oil. Add the fish sauce and sugar, stir. Add the beef, stir and cook gently for 3-4 minutes. Add the lime leaves and holy basil, cook for 1 minute.

This is meant to be a dry curry, but add a little water during cooking if you feel it's drying up too much. It is ready when the beef is cooked through. Serve, garnished with the extra coconut cream and slivered chilli.


Dry curry paste (Panaeng)

10 dried long red chillies, deseeded and chopped
5 shallots, chopped
30 ml or 2 tbsp chopped garlic (about 4 cloves)
2 stalks lemon grass, chopped
2.5 cm piece galangal, chopped
5 ml or 1 tsp ground coriander seed
5 ml or 1 tsp ground cumin
3 coriander roots
5 ml or 1 tsp shrimp paste
30 ml or 2 tbsp roasted peanuts

Using a pestle and mortar or a grinder, blend all ingredients together until they form a smooth paste. You should have about 6 tbsp / 90 ml of paste.


Note :
I confess to have improvised a fair bit here...
1. I subbed beef with chicken.
2. I added water liberally because I think the fish sauce lent a too strong fishy note and left my curry too salty. Was a good move though, because then I could add some vegetables to 'lighten' it up.
3. Coconut cream replaced by coconut milk. Roasted peanuts and coriander leaves and chilli for garnish. How very take away thai.
4. As I write this in a major hurry as am sleepy, this post is officially one of my lousiest I think... This might well be, the first and only lunch box blog.
5. Ah well... I'm going to click 'publish post' and go to bed.
6. Sweet dreams! xoxm

No comments:

Post a Comment