Sunday 8 March 2009

Wish I had...

taken a picture of the cherry tomatoes and cherry bocconcinis... I would've come up with a more catchy title for this post. (Alas I didn't)

Uh oh! March the 8th today and ideally I should've posted at least 10 things to make 12 by the end of the month. Doesn't look like it's going to happen, *frown*

unless I devise a plan of attack. *deep frown*

Agent Figgy pulled out from dishwashing duty, and I'll have to fly solo. *gulp* Mission impossible. But I'll try.

This is only my number 5 I think ? (FYI I'm talking my new year's baking resolution, in case you're not following)



Focaccia farcita
A recipe of Eric Treuille & Ursula Ferrigno from Bread (p.104)

2 tsp dried yeast
350 ml water
500 gr strong white flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil

500 gr cherry tomatoes
150 gr mozzarella or like me, replace with bocconcini
125 gr rocket
rosemary sprigs, for topping

Sprinkle yeast into 250 ml water, stir to dissolve and leave for 5 minutes. Mix flour and salt in a big bowl, make a well and pour in the yeasted water and olive oil. Incorporate the flour, adding the remaining water to form a soft sticky dough. Add more water 1 tablespoon at a time if needed.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, silky and elastic for about 10 minutes. Put the dough in an oiled bowl and cover, then leave to rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until doubled in size.

Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Place the cherry tomatoes on a baking pan and sprinkle with 1 table spoon olive oil and season with salt, then bake in a preheated oven at 200°C.

Knock back and divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Leave for 10 minutes to rest, then roll out each piece into a 24cm round and place one on an oiled baking sheet. Arrange the tomatoes, cheese and rocket then seal in the filling using the second round.

Cover the dough loosely with a tea towel, prove until doubled in size about 30 minutes. Use fingertips to gently press into the surface of the dough to form dimples about 1 cm deep. Sprinkle with some salt flakes and 1 tablespoon olive oil then top with rosemary leaves.

Bake in a preheated 200°C oven for 30-45 minutes until golden, then drizzle immediately with sloshes of olive oil and serve warm.

Note :
1. I forgot to dimple the top :( anyhow it turned out quite yummy :)
2. Rocket rocks! but I couldn't find decent ones that day that I had to replace them with baby spinach.
3. I threw away my old measuring cups only to realise that my new pretty ones are not so accurate and I blame them for all my recent failures!! I didn't use all the 350ml water but maybe it's because I wasn't correctly measuring it anyway.
4. It's rainy night and I'm feeling positively mushy. Here's an image I discovered recently and absolutely adore. I am now going to slip under my blanket and watch Amelie until I fall asleep.
5. Good night. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment