Saturday 7 May 2016

The short week

Three days of school only then a 4 day long weekend! Woo hoo!! So this week... we had a substitute teacher, it was my turn to be chef of the week and we had another art class and art class = art homework plus we were also to hand in the preliminary recipes for our creative project on the same day. I never thought that I would ever find this hashtag appropriate for me but... #schoollyfe!

I think I might had mentioned in passing about our final project; we are to present to a panel, 6 creative individual babas and 2 tartes where by we are free to select our 2 flavours which would have to be present in both baba and tarte. When we had first been told of the project I thought eeeeekkkk!! how scary especially anything to do with the art work we have to present. But as time passes I am getting a bit more excited about this exercise. Maybe.... I can do this.

Art class was on Wednesday morning for 4 hours and even though I was better prepared with my art homework but I stayed up until after 1.30 am to make sure that I selected recipes that are quasi final for at least the basic elements of the creative challenge. So as the day started my battery was only at 65%. Pascal is really nice and to be fair, some of us had spent hours on the homework and so to have him examining each work for like 10 minutes, was a very nice gesture.


Anyway, consequently the class did run 40 minutes late so lunch for me wasn't an option. I should had already been in the lab 10 minutes ago, my hunger was already gone! but my battery was at the most, 40% and I was looking forward to the end of the day very much. Luckily it was the substitute teacher and he doesn't arrive normally until the time the class starts. So yeah, by the way for the three days we had a different chef and I am still TS. Team Stévy haha.

Let's not dwell too much as to why I didn't really enjoy the past 3 days. I'll tell you one of them though. I am in the please and thank you camp and so I don't appreaciate it when someone superior in rank swear when giving orders. I am not in the army nor in the navy! I am not opposed to people who swear if only sparingly and I even find it funny when used in the right context. But when he yelled I want the effing this and effing that, sorry no matter he said it to the whole class I don't like it and in my eyes he went down one rank. We will have another 2 weeks with a different substitute teacher who I heard from a friend in the cuisine class, swears a lot. Crap! Maybe I should expect the worse and so hopefully would be pleasantly surprised.


We made babas this week, and so it should had been a crucial learning week for us because simple as it may look, from what I read and seen there are important rules to follow to have them soaked properly etc. I felt though that we weren't explained enough and all week it felt a bit like an amateur baking class where the teacher was just there to ensure that our bake would come out ok.

On Monday apparently some of us prepared the crème mascarpone for the baba. I was a bit pissed because I completely missed it. What when how, why weren't we get called to watch how it's done. Anyway, the following day it went missing. Apparently it had been thrown away, because it had no label. I had NO IDEA that the stupid cream had been made, let alone knew where it's been kept in the fridge. I thought I had checked the bowls and containers in the walk-in fridge that they had been labelled before I left on Monday, nobody blamed me but I was still a bit upset at myself that it went 'undetected' because I should had had picked that up. GRRRRR.


Apart from the baba, luckily the other 2 tarts were pretty simple, and the barquettes marrons were also not super difficult, apart from the piping. My piping is horrid, I need to practice because it is really annoying me. Though in this photo they look especially ghastly because I had to carry many things that day, art class stuff, dirty uniform, a box and these barquettes unprotected in a cake carrier running down rue de Rennes to meet a friend. My piping is not THAT bad. Otherwise, the lab this week was a breeze actually, a lot of standing around.

Ok, enough rant about school because it's an extra long weekend and the weather in Paris is simply incroyable!!! Four day weekend is the best, I have enough time for everything... straigthening my hair, writing this post, cat naps, ironing my uniforms, a long bath etc.

On Thursday night we had a pot luck night at Raz's and the food looks amazing! I slow roasted a lamb shoulder for about 6 hours but I think it could've done with another few hours in the oven! And it's a bit too salty for me, and the lamb's flavour is different compared to lamb in Australia. A bit too strong for my liking. I can critisize it to death, it's my dish. Everybody else's dishes though were really good especially the panaeng curry! Yummers!


After dinner we played three rounds of twister, such a fun night ... I'm gonna say it again, I am so lucky to be in group A.


Next week we are making a croquembouche apparently. I'm looking forward to that.... I love choux.

Melinda xx

No comments:

Post a Comment