Sunday 18 January 2009

Bonjour!

I thought it's about time I got serious and bake something on my resolutions list. I don't need a time line to see that I am a bit behind schedule.



I have had better than these, of course. But I can't help feeling proud for even attempting Mr Hermé's recipe. Mmmm... my third attempt actually (which should have made me even more proud to have had the courage to reattempt the recipe, what with mediocre results the last 2 times).

I braced myself with the thought that if other bloggers could do it, I can too. Astrid is partial towards Pierre Hermé's recipe... and she has attempted 4 times with various degree of success, read her trials and tribulations at La cerise. The following are some links to other blogs I will read in my spare time for inspiration and tips on croissant making La mia cucina Culinary concoctions by Peabody Jumbo empanadas Boastful baker Gorgeous and delicious Cafe Fernando Brown eyed baker La tartine gourmande Lovescool And then I do the dishes Sticky goey creamy chewy Joe Pastry Louis La Vache Sarah cooks Sarah Meyer Walsh Veronica's test kitchen Delicious days All things edible Cream puffs in Venice Tartelette



FYI I am no croissants connoisseur... but I'm a bit of a snob, I'd prefer not to eat them if they are not made with 100% butter. I like to eat it plain, or maybe with a bit of jam and a cup of tea. Pains au chocolat are reserved only for occasions when I feel like I could do with a little love.

Pâte à croissants
Preparation 20 minutes
Rest time 5.5 hours minimum
Makes 500 gr

15 gr butter
5 gr yeast
80 - 85 ml water
210 gr flour T45 (see note)
4 gr (1 small tsp) salt
30 gr sugar
5 gr (1 tsp) full cream milk powder
125 gr butter (at temperature ambiant)
1 egg yolk (for egg wash)

In a little saucepan, melt the 15 gr butter. In another bowl, mix yeast and water. In a bigger bowl, sieve in flour then add salt, sugar and milk powder. Eventually add the melted butter and yeast. Knead until dough is 'homogene', if it's too firm add a little bit more water.

Cover with cling wrap and leave to proof until it doubles in size for 1-1.5 hours in a warm place. Punch dough lightly with your knuckle to release carbon gas produced by fermentation. Recover with cling wrap and leave to rest in the fridge for 1 hour until it doubles in size again. Punch it the second time and this time rest the dough in the freezer for half an hour.



Soften the 125 gr of butter with spatula. Use a rolling pin to roll out dough into a 3:1 rectangle with straight angles. Use your fingers to 'spread' half of the butter on 2/3 of the rectangle lengthwise, and do a 'tour simple', then another tour simple WITHOUT butter.

Put in the freezer for 30 minutes then 1 hour in the fridge and repeat the same with the rest of the butter. One tour simple with butter than one more without butter. Half an hour in the freezer and 1 hour in the fridge.

Shaping the croissants now. Roll out the dough until it is about 6 mm thin, and cut out into triangles of 14cm x 16 cm. Roll each triangle inwards from the base towards the 'summit'. Place on a baking pan lined with baking paper, and brush with egg wash (egg yolk thinned with a bit of water). Leave to rest until they double in size (1 hour it says in the book but mine took much much longer than that!)

Preheat oven to 220°C. Brush them again with eggwash the second time and bake for 5 minutes at 220°C, then another 10 minutes at 190°C.



Note :
1. Flour type 45 apparently is approximately equal to pastry flour rather than bread flour.
2. Butter should be malleable but not too soft that it melts in your hand.
3. I try to make the recipe seems to sound as simple as possible, but actually it is not something for the faint hearted. Attempt at your own risk of deceptions and sleep deprivation. It is however, fantastic fun! The most exciting recipe I have attempted for many months, so be kind to yourself and give it a go!!




ps. Lovely homemade apricot jam is Christmas present from Puce. Also, notice that Figgy wasn't very impressed with my croissants as some were a tad too brown!
pps. Hummmm... in case you're wondering, yes cat hairs have been found floating around stuff I give out to people. *blush*

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous croissants!
    I've not made them again since the first time so I applaud your making them multiple times. I think I should give them another go, it's been a long time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brilynn!! I haven't yet read your adventure with Lis, Helene, Yvonne and co but I will... Next time you plan to make croissants let me know, I might brave myself and give it another go!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just been perusing through all your posts and I have to say I love your style and your pink table! have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete