Friday 30 January 2009

In bloom



This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux. Such thoughtful hosts they are... aim to please all; providing optional tuile recipes for savoury lovers and alternative bakers.

My reaction when I found out that we were doing tuiles I must admit, was tepid... a bit boring I thought. Only until I churned my little brain for ideas that I got rather excited. Concocted many lofty plans in my little head, all seem very sound and foolproof. Days, weeks passed until Monday I let out a little shriek realising that posting date was looming... lofty plans got canned (don't think they are executable anyway). Luckily we were only to attempt 1 of the recipes *pheew* but one condition was that we were to serve tuiles with a light accompaniment. Finally started the batter on Wednesday, left it in the fridge overnight and baked for hours (yes, hours!) on Thursday night. It was great fun though I couldn't help but yelp ever so often as I twisted and turned the hot tuiles.


Thankfully they turned out as nice as they are rather pretty, but I'm a bit bias. Of course.

Tuiles
Makes: 20 small or 6 large
Preparation time batter 10 minutes, waiting time 30 minutes, baking time: 5-10 minutes per batch

65 grams softened butter (not melted but soft)
60 grams sifted icing / confectioner’s sugar
1 sachet vanilla sugar (7 grams or substitute with a dash of vanilla extract)
2 large egg whites (slightly whisked with a fork)
65 grams sifted all purpose flour
1 table spoon cocoa powder/or food coloring of choice, optional
Butter/spray to grease baking sheet

Using a hand whisk or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle (low speed) and cream butter, sugar and vanilla to a paste. Keep stirring while you gradually add the egg whites. Continue to add the flour in small batches and stir to achieve a homogeneous and smooth batter/paste. Be careful to not overmix.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to firm up. (This batter will keep in the fridge for up to a week, take it out 30 minutes before you plan to use it).



Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with either butter/spray and chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. This will help spread the batter more easily if using a stencil/cardboard template, press the stencil on the baking sheet and use an off sided spatula to spread batter. Leave some room in between your shapes. Mix a small part of the batter with the cocoa and a few drops of warm water until evenly colored. Use this colored batter in a paper piping bag and proceed to pipe decorations if you wish.

Bake tuiles in a preheated oven (180C/350F) for about 5-10 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. Immediately release from baking sheet and proceed to shape/bend them in the desired shape. These tuiles have to be shaped when still warm, you might want to bake a small amount at a time or maybe put them in the oven to warm them up again. Or: place a baking sheet toward the front of the warm oven, leaving the door half open. The warmth will keep the cookies malleable.



Note :
1. So pressed for time... I didn't manage to make the lime mousse I had previsioned (in my head I imagined roses with mini quenelles of barely green lime mousse), so crème pâtissière would have to do.
2. It took me hours to bake these because I could only shape 4 'petals' at the most before they start to harden. Had I made them all into roses, I would have ended a grouchy sleep deprived girl (with blistered fingers), so I turned the rest into giant tuiles aux amandes. Miam!

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful flower tuiles. what a very practical idea shaping them in egg trays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are REALLY beautiful roses, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, these are SO pretty! I'm so impressed with your tuile-molding skills! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no, you're right. they are rather pretty. amazing! great job :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful, and I like where your mind was headed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea to roll them into roses. Not easy, so much kudos! They look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everybody for dropping a line :) Very happy to read your your comments and compliments... now I'm going to spend the rest of the weekend aglow like a 60watts light bulb. xoxm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! Your tuiles look great! Wonderful.

    Thanks for passing by...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative. I will not try this, though, until I have lots of helpers. It took me hours just decorating and bending! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so impressive. If the DBs had one, I would vote for yours as "Best of Challenge"-post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the flowers! These look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the flowers, that's so original and they came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you egafford, Gretchen and Andreas for your compliments :) too nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow those roses are beautiful! I would have burnt all my fingerprints off trying to do that. Great job on the challege.

    ReplyDelete