Saturday 4 April 2009

a.ban.don [ə-bān'dən]

–verb (used with object)
1. to leave completely and finally; forsake utterly; desert: to abandon one's farm; to abandon a child; to abandon a sinking ship.
2. to give up; discontinue; withdraw from: to abandon a research project; to abandon hopes for a stage career; to abandon March's daring bakers challenge.

Why! I even bought a pasta maker to pump myself up for this. Last month's challenge was Lasagna of Emilia-Romagna, hmmm with meat ragu that contains veal, pork loin, beef skirt steak, prosciutto and pancetta. Well if you must know, apart from occasional chicken fillets I have not bought raw meat for years. For my cooking I mean, I regularly buy Fig minced kangaroo meat, no sweat. I sort of have relaxed my vegetarianism to the max that I happily wolf down pork and chives dumpings at this little joint on a weekly basis, but I really don't think I've ever bought any raw pork in my whole life.

I thought this challenge a perfect opportunity re-enter the realm of butchery, but Gosh! veal, pork, beef, prosciutto, pancetta... that's a double whammy butcher AND delicatessen. So I chickened out. The movie Chicken Run by the way, with all those poultry wanting to be free range chickens not end up as chicken pies... once stopped me from buying chicken all together. For months.

I didn't refund the pasta maker though it was a very impulse purchase. In fact I've started using it and I love it!!! I've used it 3 times now within the week, and how fun is it to crank out thin layer of pasta sheet!


Pasta all'uovo (ricetta base)
From the Silver Spoon p.268
Serves 4

200 gr plain flour, preferably Italian type 00 plus extra for dusting
2 eggs, lightly beaten
salt

Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a mound on work surface. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs. Using your fingers, gradually incorporate the flour, then knead for about 10 minutes.

If the mixture is too soft, add a little extra flour; if it is too firm, add a little water. Shape the dough into a ball and leave to rest for 15 minutes. Roll out on a lightly floured surface or use a pasta machine to make a thin sheet, and cut out tagliatelle, lasagne, etc.

Simplissimo.

Note :
1. If you live in Sydney and haven't been to the Chinese Noodle Restaurant, please go.
2. No 1 (Xinjiang noodles) with beef. So good.
3. Pork and chives dumplings, pan fried or boiled.
4. Hot and sour soup
5. Am quite a piglet
6. *oink oink*

2 comments:

  1. I've never been a fan of pasta as such. I mean it's ok and Michelle loves it. But. Since we received a pasta machine for christmas a couple of years ago, from a couple who shall remain nameless but their initials are Chris and Tracey, Michelle has been able to churn out the stuff. And it is good. Very good. There is nothing quite like fresh pasta. Copernicus loves it too. He throws it around and plays with it and leaves broken little pieces around the place for you to step on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trace and Chris pick out great presents don't they? I've been known to give them rather weird presents on the other hand.

    Figgy also likes playing with noodles as well as pasta! He's into different cultures you see?

    By the way, your duck ragu post prompted me to impulsively buy the pasta machine... so thanks. It is my favourite gadget at the moment. I've been having pasta more often than when I used to keep dry pasta in the pantry. I bought a ravioli cutter months ago, I can't wait to use it.

    ReplyDelete