Saturday 11 April 2009

Come back soon sunshine

Autumn suits me for days are crisp and cool. Lovely days are when ray of warmth shines a plenty. The bureau forecasted showers for tomorrow, day after tomorrow and day after ...*sigh*



Last Christmas, in my office we had Kris Kringle. Having been away I only found the present on my desk after I came back from holiday, wrapped in unassuming plain brown paper. It was this beautiful cookie tin within, a cookie recipe book and 2 cookie cutters. Above all, it's the tin I love, my favourite shade of blue. Identity of the Kringle is not known, I have a few usual suspects... thank you!

Well anyway... last Sunday I suddenly craved for chocolate chip cookies, so I pored over my magazines and cook books to find a recipe. Now, I am not a chocolate chip cookie virgin baker, but I'm not a CCC baker minx either, in fact it must have been years since I last time made a batch. The recipe I tried this time, didn't come from the afore mentioned cookie book, I chose to try a recipe from Delicious, which uses baking powder which is quite common. Another recipe I found in another Delicious uses baking soda, a bit uncommon... typo/tricks/tips? I have a few more recipes nearly all seems to claim to be the best. I might test some out sometime and blog my findings. Betcha that my favourite batch would be one from my very un-American Larousse des desserts.



Double choc chip cookies
Makes 16 (Delicious magazine, Apr'04 p.69)

125 gr unsalted butter, softened
250 gr brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
225 gr plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
100 gr good quality dark chocolate, roughly chopped
100 gr white chocolate, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Place butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale. Add vanilla and egg and continue to beat until just combine. Sift in the flour with baking powder and a pinch of salt then fold in. Stir through chunks of chocolate.

Place tablespoonfuls of mixture 4-5cm apart on the tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool a little before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with glasses of milk.

Note:
Maybe it's my fault I ended up with some tough cookies. Yes only some, strangely... maybe I over-handled the dough, either that or maybe it's because I completely subbed half of the ingredients:
a. damerara sugar rather than brown, because I thought I had some at home but then apparently not.
b. vanilla from pod rather than extract because I have excessive stock of vanilla pods
c. didn't find any nice white chocolate in the supermarket so I opted for Green and Black's Organic Milk and Maya Gold (not because I'm slightly pretentious but they were on special 2 for $5.00)
d. actually I think I must have used 70 gr + 70 gr of each chocolate and added 100 gr of macadamia nuts

They are all right biscuits I suppose. Score : 6.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment