Monday 13 April 2009

The apple of my eye

is my favourite English expression. It is lovely I think. Lovely is my favourite word in the English language by the way. I found a word in a book I'm reading, the Book Thief by Markus Zusak; lovelily. I didn't realise I could add another -ly after lovely. Of course it becomes an instant hit in my vocabulary. (waiting to use it in an opportune gushy sentence actually).

I baked this the other morning and packed some to bring to work to share. Amongst things I make this is the most oft asked recipe, and a bit unlike me to not omit/substitute something but this is one that needs no adjustment. Except for this one time, I added zest of one lemon just because.

"A pleasant hint of lemony aroma marries lovelily"



There! I did it! Lovelily in a sentence laced with soppiness verging on overkill. (I promise you, Markus Zusak is far more elegant writer than I)

Apple and almond batter pudding
Serves 6
A recipe from Vogue Entertaining Cookbook, Autumn/Winter SO+S p.109

120 gr plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
125 gr caster sugar
100 gr ground almonds
2 eggs
a few drops of almond essence
250 gr sour cream
3 Granny Smith apples
25 gr slivered almonds
25 gr extra caster sugar

Preheat oven to 180°C. Sift flour with baking powder and sugar together in a bowl, then mix in ground almonds. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, almond essence and sour cream then add to the dry ingredients, beating until smooth. Peel, core and slice the apples.

Spread half the batter in a buttered 28cm x 25cm baking dish and scatter with half the apples. Add the rest of the batter, then the remaining apples and scatter the slivered almonds and extra sugar on top.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the centre withdraws clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Serve with cream or custard.

Note:
1. I never add any essence. So in fact I do omit something from this recipe actually...
2. No silly kisses as I don't want to appear melodramatic, overly sentimental (and corny) blogger. Bye!

3 comments:

  1. "Lovelily" is one of those words I thought I wasn't aware of until I said it out loud to myself a few times and went hey I know that word. Weird.
    I have "The Book Thief" sitting unread on my bookshelf at home. It is in good company. There's probably 1000 unread books on my bookshelves at home. Damn Amazon and their recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think the word shylyly exists ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to check, but no it doesn't as far as I can tell.

    ReplyDelete