Sunday 3 May 2009

Woot!

Everytime I see this word I wonder what it means. I'm not hip (read: young) enough to have used it in my correspondence / conversation the past. Not that I am going looking forward to be actively woot wooting people but out of curiousity I consulted the urban dictionary for some enlightenment.

1. Woot originated as a hacker term for root (or administrative) access to a computer. However, with the term as coincides with the gamer term, "w00t". "w00t" was originally an trunicated expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop role-playing game for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.
Example : "I defeated the dark sorcerer! Woot!"

2. a) An interjection similar to "YAY!" or "Woohoo!" used to express joy or excitement, usually about some kind of accomplishment. Primarily used by gamers, spreading rapidly to anyone who chats online. Gaming origins: We Owned the Other Team or Wonderful Loot (Everquest gaming slang)
Example : woot! I got an A on this test.
b) To express agreement.
Robyn: Eric is such a tool. Let's put packing peanuts in his desk.
Stefanie: woot!
c) As an acronym, can mean Waste of Our Time or Way Out of Topic (online forums) Less common.


A gave me 3 tablettes of chocolate. Woot!


Note :
1. The weather is fair this weekend so I haven't the urge to stay in to bake. I was planning to make some raviolis but I have a feeling that it will be postponed.
2. I took a peek at May's Daring Bakers challenge. It's very exciting!! I'm pumped! Woot!
3. (I didn't overkill the usage, did I?)

No comments:

Post a Comment